Markus Schaefer / Hosoya Schaefer
Architect-urbanist, MSc, MArch, SIA
HOSOYA SCHAEFER ARCHITECTS AG
HOSOYA SCHAEFER ARCHITECTS AGis a Zürich based office for architecture, urban design and research since 2003. The office has won several first prizes and is working on a wide spectrum of projects such as the Swiss Innovation Park near Zürich, mobility research for Volkswagen or train stations in Toronto. In Switzerland, the office won first prizes for the urban design of the Technology-Cluster / V-Zug Area in Zug, the Airport Engadin or the train station area St. Moritz.
Markus Schaefer and Hiromi Hosoya have been the curators of the Salon Suisse at the Architecture Biennale 2014 in Venice. A combination of academic work, project practice and research for clients allows the firm to develop and refine a solid, systemic and innovative understanding of our urban future.
MARKUS SCHAEFER has a Masters of Architecture from Harvard University,Graduate School of Design. In addition, he also has a Masters in Neurobiology from the University of Zürich. At Harvard, he first collaborated with his current partner Hiromi Hosoya on the Harvard Guide to Shopping, edited by Rem Koolhaas et al. and published by Taschen in 2001. Prior to founding Hosoya Schaefer, Markus Schaefer was a director of AMO in Rotterdam. AMO is the think tank and research department of OMA, the architecture office established by Rem Koolhaas.
Both with work at OMA and at Hosoya Schaefer, Markus Schaefer has won several international awards. He lectures and publishes regularly. He is also partner and head of research at CityTrackerX AG, a privately funded research and development company aiming at a real-time performance analysis of cities.
- Member of the SNF funded NRP 65 project “Sustainable Urban Patterns – SUPat” (2010 - 2104)
- University Professor at Akademie der Bildenden Künste Wien, Austria (2007 – 2009)
- Guest Professor at Akademie der Bildenden Künste Wien, Austria (2007)
- Visiting Professor at Berlage Institute, Rotterdam, NL / “Light Capital: Urban Scripts for Ljubljana” (2005/06)
- Visiting Professor at Berlage Institute, Rotterdam, NL / “The Architecture of Hospitals” (2005)
- Masterclass at Berlage Institute, Postgraduate Laboratory for Architecture, Rotterdam (2003)
Тheme: "Thoughts and projects towards an urban future"